Music is an integral part of everyday life at King Richard III College and is included in the curriculum in Spain. Music is not an option at every international school in Mallorca so we are extremely proud of our musical success at IGCSE and at A Level with students gaining Cambridge Outstanding Learner Awards for their A Level Music work .
As a valued subject, all students in Key Stage 3 receive 2 lessons of music per week in groups of 10-12 following the English National Curriculum. Students in Years 10 & 11 may opt to do Music IGCSE and our most senior students may complete the AS and A2 qualifications.
Music is regarded as a vibrant form of communication and an extension of the bilingual education offered at King Richard III College. In a Music room equipped with keyboards, pianos, guitars and a large collection of tuned and untuned classroom percussion instruments, students are encouraged to participate in practical work in small groups and in class activities, learning to respect Music from different genres, cultures, countries and periods of history. Students develop the skills to describe and analyse Music using the correct terminology and to contribute confidently in discussions and performances.
Every year over 60 students take part in our musical productions such as Les Miserables, West Side Story, Little Shop of Horrors and Chicago. Opportunities to perform arise in assemblies and at the Prizegiving ceremony at the end of the Summer term.
Key Stage 3
At Key Stage 3 students focus on the key skills of performing, composing, listening and appraising. A broad range of Music topics are studied, enabling students to appreciate Music from different periods of history and different cultures and countries. As well as foundation lessons in Music theory and history, students will be expected to incorporate these skills as they study topics including Reggae, Blues, Indian Music, Gamelan and Protest Songs.
Music is a fun lesson where the students learn to interact with each other, work together and develop confidence through creativity and performance.
Key Stage 4
In Years 10 & 11, students may choose to do IGCSE Music. Following the University of Cambridge International Exam Board syllabus 0410, students embark on an exciting 2 year course studying the key features of the periods of musical history from 1600 to the present day, learning about the instruments of the orchestra, exploring music from around the world, analysing a set piece and embarking on a comprehensive theory course.
While 40% of the course is completed in a listening exam which takes place in May of Year 11, the remaining 60% is practical coursework (submitted in April of Year 11). Students must perform and record one solo piece and one group piece and compose 2 contrasting original pieces. The coursework submissions may be in any genre and on any instrument (the voice is counted as an instrument at this level).
Key Stage 5
At Key Stage 5 our Year 12 & 13 students may choose to complete the AS and A level in Music. This demanding yet rewarding syllabus 9483 from the University of Cambridge International Exam board is divided into 4 units, the first two of which are submitted in Year 12 to gain the AS level with a further two units added in Year 13 to complete the full A Level.
In Year 12, students prepare for a 2 hr written exam in May based on the knowledge and analysis of works set by the exam board as well as a wider general appreciation of music.
The exam is worth 60% of the AS level, with the remaining 40% being practical coursework. Students must prepare and perform a 6-10 minute solo recital demonstrating their skills and versatility and their understanding of different genres. Finally, students must compose 2 original contrasting pieces for 2 or more instruments (the voice is included as an instrument at this level).
In Year 13, the remaining 2 units are purely coursework, consisting of a 15-20 minute focused solo recital with research and a 6-8 minute composition with research.